Monday, December 8, 2008

Too much thinking



Today it's easier to write about painting than to actually paint. I'm having a crisis of confidence - a common occurrence in my world. This state usually results when I do too much thinking about what I've created, rather than just painting on and leaving the "head chat" in another compartment of my brain. I start to question myself when I see another work that I think is spectacular or someone makes a comment about my work that I read way too much into or someone says something quite complimentary and I feel like a fake. There doesn't seem to be any way to win. Usually something else happens to balance it all out. In the meantime, I thought I would share a slice of one of my new paintings. This is the first one from my Reading a Garden series. I worked my way up to the formal gardens from something I understood quite well- a wildflower meadow. None of the new works have titles yet. This is something I tend to put way too much thought into.

No comments: