Saturday, April 4, 2009

Anatomy of a painting - Part 2

This is the photo that ended my previous post. It could be considered complete and for awhile I thought so too. Then I began to think back to the experience of finding this wrapper behind a statue in the gardens. I think it was the only piece of trash I saw in my two week stay on the grounds of Birr Castle. I couldn't help viewing it as proud of its ability to defy the normal cycle that the natural world was engaged in. The bright colours seemed to add to this defiance. I knew I had to reconsider the scale of the wrapper.









A new photo transfer was prepared and inserted over the previous one. Then the job of integrating the image into the background began.
When an image is inserted into an almost completed work it sticks out like a sore thumb, and it takes much patience and subtle applications of paint and paper to make it look like it belongs. This usually means additions to the whole piece to draw it together.











Here's the end result. I've also readjusted the colours away from the obvious green and set it on a path of decay. My trusty Tri Art Transparent Brown always saves the day when you want to age an image.

These highly textured, dark pieces are very difficult to photograph. I build up using gloss gel because it creates a better sense of depth, but the added shine is a problem when you photograph the stages of development of a work.

As this work is part of a series, I will wait and varnish it with all the other pieces. Then the satin varnish is more receptive to my limited photography skills.

7 comments:

Tina said...

This is really quite intricate and lovely! I love all your descriptions as well, and it is amazing all the inspiration you take in from all around you and then put back into your art work.

Mary Buek said...

Margaret, lovely, lovely. I remember the photograph from when you posted it originally and I liked it then. I'm so glad I got to see what you did with it. I also love your painting in the sidebar.

Miki Willa said...

It has been so interesting to see your process for this painting. I really like the end result. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and work.

rivergardenstudio said...

Oh, how beautiful your work is, so deep with all the layers and your stories are wonderful as well... thank you and happy Saturday! Roxanne

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Tell me more about that brown paint; I'm finding umber to be a bit over the top. Who makes it? I enjoy coming here to read about your process. I find that very interesting.

M said...

Leslie,
Tri Art is a Canadian brand. You can order it online from Opus Framing and Art Supplies in British Columbia. They have several acrylic transparent colours I could not live without: transparent yellow oxide, transparent gold oxide, and transparent permanent light red. They are fantastic for glazing. I also find the quality quite good.

Gina Cuff said...

This piece is simply gorgeous, Margaret!