Monday, February 9, 2009

Regeneration

Hope

In my previous post I explored one side of life in the garden, the idea of transience in nature as a symbol of our own mortality. Mary Buek's comment to the previous post highlights another theme inherent in every garden, that of regeneration and hope. Nature moves through all its phases in a methodical fashion, immune to our impatience. Spring is nature's reward for waiting through the slow crawl of winter. When my garden sheds its white wrap and shoots appear, my energy level rises and my spirit is renewed. I long for spring.

Seeds, seed pods and bulbs are constant reminders of new life in a garden. I see them as life recyclers. Through my art, I've explored this renewal in various ways over the years.



Wishful thinking # 7 (2007) 5 x 5 inches, mixed media collage on board



Promise (2006) 8 x 10 acrylic on canvas


Awaiting spring (2005) 5 x 7 acrylic and coloured pencil on canvas

Passage ( 2004) 5 x 15, acrylic on canvas

2 comments:

Mary Buek said...

Margaret, what absolutely lovely art you have created here. And I do not believe that your lovely smile is hiding a morbid nature. . . couldn't be true with what you have created.

M said...

I guess I see both sides Mary. I'm at my daughter's today and looking out at the park which is blanketed with snow. The trees are stark and bare but the sun is making me think about what lies underneath it all.