Friday, May 29, 2009

Heralding spring

Nature/nurture (2008) 20 x 24 mixed media on canvas

Yes, I know it's been spring forever in other places but I can say with certainty that we are finally having spring in Newfoundland. In 2008 I created this piece for a juried exhibition called Spring at the Craft Council of Newfoundland. I saw beautiful yellow tulips yesterday and was reminded of it.

The background is photo transfers of various pages from gardening books that were then torn and collaged . The thought that we have to have instructions to help nature along is somewhat pathetic. I used the split canvas to represent the nature nurture debate.

This is a very busy weekend for me because CARFAC, a national arts advocacy board, I am a member of is holding its Annual General Meeting in St. John's. There will be much excitement in addition to the meetings.

6 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

It's very important to click to enlarge your work...so as to see all the lovely detail. Enjoy your Spring!

HeartFire said...

Wonderful painting, and I liked your postcards too...

M said...

Thanks both for your comments. I love my layers so you never know what I might have in the paintings.

Miki Willa said...

I have spent a long time really looking at this painting. Each time, I find more and more. The depth of the layers just draws me deeper in each time. I really like this painting. You are so wonderfully talented and I am always happy to see your work.

M said...

Thank you so much Miki. I am most happy with a painting when I can create a layered history for people to explore. I am attracted to the narrative that I can set up using this technique. I'm not happy unless I can have one piece doing a lot of things at once.

beauty comma said...

I love this, too. I can see why you want to work with flowers after a long winter!
Hope the CARFAC meeting went well!