Sunday, April 19, 2009

Back to reality

It is liberating to go off to Duntara for almost a week and not have any connection via internet. I forget how ruled I am by this form of communication until I have to do without my daily fix. I especially found it difficult to leave my blog and the blogs in the community I follow. After about day three I had all but forgotten that part of my life.

I had a lovely time painting, reading and thinking. I took some photographs, made decisions about new work I am considering and celebrated my birthday with several friends who live near. It was so good to get back into the swing of what my summer space means to me. I was disappointed that I only saw one iceberg and that was well out to sea. It also snowed! It gave new meaning to "summer house".

"Yes, it was sunny, no it wasn't warm!"

A close up of my beach collection, nestled up in snow.

The community of Duntara, across the harbour from my patio. There are currently about 48 year round residents. When I spent summer vacations here as a teenager the population was several hundred. It is a beautiful, peaceful community.


A promise of things to come.



5 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Thank you for taking us along on the tour of your summer home. And Happy Birthday!

M said...

Leslie,
My pleasure. I love to share that special part of my life. My time there has helped me grow enormously as an artist and a lover of nature. The light is spectacular and the peacefulness causes all sorts of ideas to float to the surface. I wish everyone could have such a place to paint.

Kim Hambric said...

Please tell me you sat in one of those rocking chairs, at least for a few minutes, no matter how cold. A break from computer technology is a wonderful thing.

Hope you can bring some of that peacefulness back to reality.

M said...

Kim,
Welcome,
We did convince ourselves it was warm enough to have a coffee, but it took a lot of positive thought. The peacefulness usually gets lost during the three hour drive back to the city.

Lynda Lehmann said...

And where exactly, is Duntara? It looks beautiful. And the light hitting that porch and the chairs is beautiful! I'm glad you had time to read and think, and yes, get away from the keyboard!

Those lilies are so lush! A very HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY to you, Margaret!