Monday, July 18, 2011

Tree portraits

From the time I could walk trees have been an important part of my life.  I've written about this attraction before and it continues.  While sorting my tree photos today a number of them seemed to be calling out for recognition. Some of them have appeared before but one of the ways I get inspiration for my work is to regroup photos in new ways .  It's the pairings that provide new ways of seeing.

Hope you like my world collection of  tree portraits that are longing for titles. Feel free to pitch in with your ideas. 

USA (Boston)

 Newfoundland (Tickle Cove)

 Ireland  1(Birr)

Ireland 2 (Birr)

Ireland 3 (Birr)

 Turkey 1 (Ephesus)

Turkey 2

 Greece (Rhodes)

Spain (Barcelona)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great collection. I can see these appearing in your encaustic work. xox Corrine

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I too love trees...these are especially beautiful, as if they called out to you to be seen!

Jeanette Jobson said...

I live in the middle of the forest, so trees are take a little for granted until I force myself to examine them more closely.

You have a good collection here. That Tickle Cove one has to be called 'Witch's Broom' :)

Have you looked at the Trees for Life exhibition site yet? That may be just up your alley and they're still accepting submissions if you feel in a generous mood.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Trees are always so interesting. I especially like the bare trunks.

Shayla said...

I'm especially drawn to the trees you showed from Ephesus. Great atmosphere and mood!

Sherwood Harrington said...

They're all wonderful, but I'm especially drawn to the ones from Tickle Cove and Turkey, for some reason.

And you thought I'd single out the ones from Birr :-)

Speaking of which, did you walk any or all of the "Red Tree Trail" while you were there? After our first stay there, I put together this collection of studies of the 50 trees. They're not as artistically satisfying as yours, of course, but you might enjoy glancing at a few of them.

M said...

My online friends,
Thanks for writing a comment about my trees. Indeed, this is how I think about them once I single them out and photograph them. I see photographing as a way of owning an object because I have continued access to it whenever I want.

Sherwood,
I looked at many of the trees on the Red Tree Trail but being an artist I didn't set out to walk the trail; I preferred to come upon them and mark them off in the book with my own annotations- not scientific for sure.

Tickle Cove and Turkey - now that's worlds apart!

Jeanette,
Thanks for the suggestion to look at Trees for Life exhibition- will do.

Corrine,
I'm sure these trees will indeed show up in one way or another in my work.