Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thinking landscape

Our  month in Europe passed quickly and I've see lots of interesting art, people, landscape, shows, houses, decor and heavens knows what else.  It is all up in my head in a gigantic jumble that will right itself when I have enough time to download and sort all my photographs.  There will be many posts to come describing my new inspirations.

For now I have to focus on something so I chose some of the last art work I saw in  Beer, Devon at Marine House Gallery   .Driving through this beautiful countryside and walking about in the fairytale perfect towns helps you understand why landscape is the most prominent content for many English artists.
Tinners' Coast , Collage on canvas, 39 x 39in.

Botallack, Acrylic on paper,  14 x 15 in.

Martin Procter is one artist whose work I liked.  He appears to be interested in man's imprint on the landscape through walls, buildings, field boundaries, and industrial architecture and represents these themes through mostly abstracted imagery.  As I surveyed his work certain characteristics were retained from work to work. His most recent works painted during a stay in the US can be found on his website .

Hopi Village, Mixed media on board  , 40 x 40 cm.

Kiva, mixed media on board, 40 x 40 cm.

There is a two dimensional quality to his work which is dependent on a strong use of line and colour blocking. His paintings frequently have a vertical segmentation to them, leading the eye in lines up the picture. You can quickly see what he determines are the most important aspects of the landscape. In his work the geology and scale of the natural world is overlaid with man's efforts  which often appear minute in scale.

A closer look reveals the inventive use of a variety of media (which is probably why this work appeals to me) .  His colour choices can be dramatic and all colour usage produces a solid look by chunking repeated forms together.



This is how one artist in Devon relates to the landscape.  Stay tuned for several others.  It should be interesting to see the commonalities and differences in their imagery and vocabulary.

7 comments:

Hillary said...

Thanks for posting about Martin Proctor, I like his work and must explore it more. Your blog is so interesting. Regards Hillary

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Delightful post! These paintings are beautiful indeed. I followed the links to his website and was entranced. Funny, I have begun a series working with migration and here he has followed that course in a most beautiful way. Thanks for the introduction!

M said...

Thanks Hillary for your kind words. I hope to have more posts now that summer is over and the long days of winter are looming.

Mary Ann,
I'm glad I could provide you with something that connected to your own work. I keep thinking about landscape but I can's seem to pan out from close up in my own work but I certainly admire the work of others.

Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting post. I know Beer from a while ago, but don't know the gallery. I found your blog via Martha Marshall, I'll be back. (Any chance you can add a subscribe by email widget? I'd hate to miss anything now that I've found you.)

M said...

Nuvofelt, Subscribe by email is now added. I'm obviously out of the loop with new things!

Anonymous said...

LOL, thank you. I've subscribed. I'll be back..

Mark Sheeky said...

That picture caught my eye in my reading list and I was just about to say that it looks just like something from the south west, and there we are :) It'll be interesting to see those others.