Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's in a circle?



Shadows of Summer (8 x 10) paper, photo transfer, acrylic paint and gels on board
Ryall (2008)

This small work combines memories of different aspects of my experiences in The Millennium Garden at Birr Castle, Ireland. I am always drawn to circular motifs and use them repeatedly in my work. The brick opening ( referred to as a moongate in garden design) was intriguing. It allowed you to choose a view looking into or out of the garden. I loved the framed glimpse from both angles. I spent time sitting in the circle and contemplating both views and what they meant. I also imagined all sorts of other views that the circle could contain that related to the symbolism the circle has generated through the centuries.

The circle is a universal symbol of unity, wholeness, infinity, protectiveness, eternity,the godess and female power. To earth-centered religions as well as to many contemporary pagans, it represents the feminine spirit or force, the cosmos or a spiritualized Mother Earth. What is contained within a circle is often considered sacred.


No comments: