Saturday, September 26, 2009

Screen

Screen (2009) 10 x 24 in.
mixed media (photo transfers, acrylic medium and paint, paper) on board

Layering is a prominent aspect of every garden I have ever visited. This design concept is used to move a viewer/visitor visually through a space, to look beyond what is the closest and most obvious feature. Sometimes these invitations are "man made" but more often than not nature is the designer.

This work does not represent one particular place; it is a combination of three different views in Birr Castle Demesne. I thought I would try my hand at garden design.

5 comments:

Sherwood Harrington said...

The whole here is greater than the sum of the pieces!

I'm trying to identify the pieces, though. I'd guess that the lily pads are in the still water by Inis Dara near the fernery. I'm also pretty sure (but not dead certain) that the lovely leaves are from the fagus sylvatica ("Birr Zebra") also near there.

Is the third piece the background? I can't place that.

So, how did I do, Margaret?

Sherwood Harrington said...

... oh, good grief. Of course that link to the lily pads' picture doesn't link to what I wanted it to, and it appears that I can't edit comments. Here is what I intended.

M said...

Sherwood,
You are spot on with the lily pads and the fagus and the third piece is the lacey leaves in the background. They are from another tree... but doesn't it look real and right?

layers said...

Layering is a fascinating concept, especially in gardens-- and you succeeded with your acrylic collage piece.

Miki Willa said...

I am fascinated with the depth you achieved with this piece. It truly represents the concept of the magical garden, where you can just get a peak at what is ahead if you keep going on the path. What a wonderful painting.