Monday, March 30, 2009

Music to paint by

Some days I like to paint in total silence, while other days I crave music. The choice has nothing to do with the kind of work I'm creating; it's just that some days are music days. One of my favourite female vocalists is Amelia Curran who currently lives in Nova Scotia. A friend gave me her last CD War Brides and I was smitten from the first note. Reviewers had a similar response.

"Amelia Curran’s latest CD, War Brides, is one of those intimate gems of an album that you have to discover for yourself. There isn’t a big publicity machine forcing it down your throat, and it’s an album you have to seek to find. One thing that is very clear upon listening to it is that you realize that Curran, a St. John’s native now based in Nova Scotia, creates music that is instantly satisfying, and in a world full of folk singers, Curran’s music is a cut above.”
~Kevin Kelly. The Newfoundland Herald. (St. John’s, NL) August 2006





7 comments:

Sherwood Harrington said...

I don't come with no disclaimer,
I'm like everybody else,
We keeps our demons on the burner
And our morals on the shelf.


Well, maybe a long time ago... but I've got one or two of Sologub's petty demons simmering in the back even now, and Ms. Curran's work might just get them to pop over! Thanks, Margaret for the introduction to music I'll find a use for in the planetarium, for sure!

Speaking of music for painting... did you know that there's a CD devoted to the Birr Castle Demesne? It's a lovely, restful thing by Karin Leitner (flute) and Duccio Lombardi (harp), called The Gardens of Birr Castle Demesne, and includes lovely interpretations of, among others, Ave Maria, Danny Boy, and The Baird of Armagh. Here's a link to it on Amazon.

Also for sometime accompaniment for working on stuff associated with Birr (be it painting or writing research!) a little bit of Mundy can be a boost. "Mundy" is the stage name of Edmund Enright, son of a Birr political family of note and proprietors of Enrights' pub on "The Green" between Birr's town square and the Castle. Mundy's biggest hit so far is called "July," is reminiscent of your clips from Amelia Curran in many ways, and can be found in multiple versions on YouTube via Google.

M said...

Sherwood,
I bought the Birr Castle CD after the musical evening in the castle. Of course it is a constant in the studio. I'll check out Edmund Enright - Mundy on You Tube. You are a fountain of information.

M said...

Sherwood,
Do you know this site that follows Irish music? I came across it by accident but I've begun to follow it. There's a range of music covered. http://2uibestow.blogspot.com

Lynda Lehmann said...

Margaret, thanks! I'm so excited to add her to my Amazon wishlist!

I rarely buy music, since my art supplies cost so much. But I know what I want to buy when the right time comes along!

I usually paint in silence, and give myself over to the rhythm(s) of the paintings. Just sometimes, I will listen to mellow music of any ilk, at a low decibel level.

Sherwood Harrington said...

What a great find, Margaret! Thank you!

Ross Lynem said...

Hi Margaret.
I did a google search for "music to paint by" and voila!
Here i am and so glad to have found your blog and this fantastic music. I have listened to it over and over while i paint. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Blessings always...
ross

Anonymous said...

great sounds magi you did ok i paint to it too now berni Gurrey