Thursday, November 25, 2010

It's about texture



Untitled, 6 x 6 in. encaustic, paper, pigment stick

I' m beginning to get a glimmer of what interests me most about using encaustic as a medium. It is absolutely wonderful for creating texture; being totally tactile this is an important characteristic for me. If you look back through my posts over the last several weeks you will get a sense of the interesting effects that can be created by utilizing different papers or fabrics as a base for texture.

By experimentation and not being tied down to the production of a final product, each of these sample boards have extended my understanding of the encaustic medium and how it relates to paper. I am thankful to my friend and fellow encaustic explorer Carol for giving me the paper I used in the work above. So it's all about process right now, but where will it lead me in terms of content? What do I want to say that is important? That's emerging to...

To take the pressure of me let's look at another artist.

There are always artists with similar interests and aesthetics but each one communicates "an expression in a voice most have not heard" says Robin Luciano Beaty. Her small abstracts speak to me of landscape- not the landscape of specific reproductions of space- but of the glimpses, sudden insights and impressions one gleans by observing the movement of nature.

Above and Beyond Series at Three Graces Gallery


6 comments:

p said...

wow, i dig the 'remains to be seen' works. and how cool you are diving into encaustic and TEXTURE!!! look forward to more :)

M said...

Hi Paula,
I love the title of Remains to be Seen as well as the small textured works and I'm loving your new vases.

Mary Paquet said...

Neat results with your exploration of process. Also, I really like your finished works shown last Sunday.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Experimenting is definitely the fun part of art, and one of the most important. Those glimpses of landscapes are wonderful. I look forward to yours.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love Beaty's work! Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I can see how texture is important to your work and have been wondering if you've ever tried sculpture. It seems like you'd be a "natural" in that area as well.

Lynda Lehmann said...

I think that texture is a very important part of art and it moves me, all the time. I'm in love with nature's textures which I capture in photos, and seem to reflexively refer to when I paint.

Lovely work here, Margaret! It resonates with me.