Friday, November 18, 2011

Redefined - Hinge



My latest work is a reexamination of objects that I used in a body of work three years ago. Many of them were picked up at the sight of an old family building which has long fallen into the ground and disappeared. Only rusted metal and rotting boards are left.  The hinge and wallpaper in the piece below reference the separate  male/female worlds of work prevalent in the fifties and sixties when I was growing up. Like the eroding wallpaper and hinge things are changing in that arena. 


Wallpaper with Hinge (2008) 26 x 14 in. Mixed media on board
Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Art Bank Collection


 Redefined - Hinge ( 2011)  16 x 16 in. Mixed media on board

My new work is leaving the realm of male female roles and work behind as I study the object themselves and how they relate to the interior and exterior landscape. This piece has different characteristics than the other two pieces from Redefined I  recently wrote about.  The hinge is not integrated into the background, rather it hovers like some kind of alien ship.  No matter how much I tried to give it an embedded feel it didn't work out.  I stopped trying and listened to the painting.

No comments: