Saturday, March 16, 2013

Finding my way



I am beginning a new series of work in encaustic and this is one of the exploratory pieces.  I am still experimenting and deciding so until I find out what I am actually up to I've named the series Finding My Way.

 The work is stemming from a temporary visual experience I had during cataract surgery when my lens was removed prior to having the new one  put in. You are looking into a bright light so the world becomes  fuzzy white.  The experience is both frightening and thought provoking. It brought a  lot of observations and questions with it.

 Without colour and contrast how would you represent the world?  What  art elements can you use?  How would you represent your thoughts?  .....

          What if ..... Beach Language  ( 2013 ) 12 x45 in.  encaustic, encaustic gesso, driftwood, glue

3 comments:

tess stieben said...

Quite a deep topic that has produced an intriguing sculptural piece in white. wonderful to say the least. Hugs!

Unknown said...

This is fascinating!! I think you've hit on a really interesting concept and I like the idea very much. Can't wait to see how this series develops.

M said...

Thanks for the support Tess and Katharine. I am very excited about exploring this topic and have oodles of ideas to work through. Posing a question is certainly a great way to produce a body of work. I know "What if..." always worked well when I was a teacher.