Friday, July 23, 2010

Slow

The pace of my life has decreased considerably this week. I am back at my summer house and the painting I am doing is limited to walls and doors! It has been very warm even by the ocean and the whales are beginning their yearly visit to the harbour. This is my favouite time of summer. Nothing can beat the feeling you get when the sun sparkles the water and the whales skim and blow. The quietness of it permeates your whole being.

I have four 16 inch square canvases lined up on my painting table. Nothing has changed their pristine surfaces yet. I go into the studio, sit in my chair and read and sometimes look up to see their blankness - the perfect example of minimilism! I've been waiting impatiently for a book to arrive from a second hand bookstore. Color in Contemporary Art was recommended by a friend of mine. It would be the perfect reading diversion right now but it just won't show up on my doorstep.

5 comments:

Shayla said...

Your "slow" sounds good. I like that time of looking at the blank canvas every once in awhile. Germinating...

Summer in the city is noisy. I can't imagine that kind of quiet right now.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Perfect summer indeed! A friend spotted three Orcas here in the Monterey Bay last week.
Enjoy your slow pace and summer whale watching!

-Don said...

Utopia.

-Don

hw (hallie) farber said...

I've always felt that these quiet times are an important part of making art--times to let ideas flow in and out. You can choose which ones you want to keep.

Unknown said...

Margaret- so sorry that I haven't been able to keep up with your posts! Like you, I've been at my summer home and it's difficult to access the web. I hope you have a very productive summer and know that you'll find inspirations around every corner. Happy painting!