Sunday, August 8, 2010

Another find

I have a new find. My wallpaper detective instincts led me to the Monk's House in King's Cove, which is the community next to Duntara where I have my summer house. Those of you who follow my blog already know this is important news for my documentation of the wallpaper designs of old homes in Newfoundland.

I have always admired this old house since my trips to the area as a teenager. It was built in the mid- nineteenth century and was occupied much of the intervening time by the Monks family. It is best know for the large clock that is on the exterior built by Kenneth Monks who was a well known crafts person and watchmaker. The Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador declared it a Registered Heritage Structure in April 1990.

Here are some of my favourite shots so far. I'll be going back as more work is done because I know the new owners. Lucky me.

Delicate and very purple with lovely circular motifs. I only have a few images with purple so this adds to my collection nicely.

The under workings that support the top layers of delicacy.

These designs are quite old. You can tell by the tight colour ranges and block printing effect.

My favourite green appears again. I need to research the time frame where this colour was popular. It is so much a part of my growing up.

Bold and more sophisticated than some of the other designs. Classic references abound.

Perfect in every way!

An interesting wiring approach that works well with the border.
...supported by a Geography lesson

My favourite one because it has everything.

...and help for the serious mother.

4 comments:

TSL said...

Oh my heart sings at the history of it all, no less the beauty! How these papers brightened up cold wintry days, and also with insulation! So wonderful.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

What a great idea to document wall paper design. Its a combination of archeology and art history!

Jeanette Jobson said...

This is leading down a wonderful path I think. The avenues of history and culture, wealth and poverty,fashion and geography all tie into decor.

I love the colours that you've unearthed so far. What a treat!

-Don said...

Margaret, these shots are GREAT! Thanks for sharing them with us. I especially like the "Geography Lesson" shot.

-Don